Our History and Faith

Our mission is to promote the worship of God as revealed through Jesus Christ and to promote the study of Scripture.  Relying on Scripture and prayer as our guides, we strive to serve humanity. 

Home      
 

 

On July 15, 1807, 13 people in Morristown Corners united in church covenant and formed the first Congregational Church.

This church met in many buildings on several sites over the years.  The current site was chosen in 1839 and a church building was erected.  That building was remodeled in 1857 and again in 1875.  It was enlarged as it now stands in 1897.  The east wing, as it is known, was added in 1948 and changes to the sanctuary were made in 1957.
 
This congregation voted to be part of the merger of the General Council of Congregational Churches in 1932.  It voted to become a congregation of the United Church of Christ in 1961.
 
This church is a congregation of believers bound together by a covenant rather than a creed.  We encourage unity without uniformity.  We count among our membership persons who have been raised in other traditons such as Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist, Episcopal, Lutheran and Roman Catholic.  This diversity in our backgrounds enriches our perspective.
 
We acknowledge Jesus Christ as our Head, and find in the Holy Scriptures, interpreted by the Divine Spirit through reason, faith, and conscience, our guide in all matters of Christian faith, order, and discipline.
 
This church recognizes the Bible as the guide in faith and practice, and holds that living in accordance with the life and spirit of Jesus Christ is the true test of fellowship.  Each member shall have the undisturbed right to follow the Word of God according to the dictates of one's own conscience, under the enlightenment of the Holy Spirit.
 
Our mission is to promote the worship of God as revealed through Jesus Christ and to promote the study of scripture.  Relying on scripture and prayer as our guides, we strive to serve humanity.